Development of Control Methodology for Pharmaceutical Processes
Currently, my research focuses on modifying processes and operations that occur in pharmaceutical mixing with the adaptation of control in order to increase mixing uniformity. The FDA recently passed an act, which motivates academia, and industry to begin the quest of developing advanced mixing methodology. The goal is the development of microscopically homogenous substances via chemometrics. Historically, granular material mixing processes have regressed from empirical assumptions; thus, developing rigid mixing models. Therefore, this act will prompt the development of process analytical techniques and further provide superior qualitative understanding of the uniformity at the microscopic scale. As a result, I am working on a model that will accurately illustrate mixing characteristics. Once this model is developed, the next target is the application of optimization to determine pragmatic parameters that accurately imitate mixing units. This model will provide insightful information that offers a superior final product without substantial waste.
- Portillo P.M., Muzzio F.J., and Ierapetritou M.G. Characterizing Powder Mixing Processes utilizing Compartment Models, Int. J. Pharmaceutics, 2006, 320, 14-22.
- Portillo P.M., Muzzio F.J., and Ierapetritou M.G. A new Hybrid DEM-Compartment Modeling Approach for Granular Mixing, AICHE, 2007, 53, 1, 119-128.
- Portillo P.M., Ierapetritou M.G., and Muzzio F.J. Characterization of Continuous Convective Powder Mixing Processes, Powder Technology, 2007, 3, 368-378.
- Portillo P.M., Muzzio F.J., and Ierapetritou M.G. Using Compartment Modeling to Investigate Mixing Behavior of a Continuous Mixer, Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation, 2008, 3, 3, 161ĘC174.
- Portillo P.M., Ierapetritou M.G., Tomassone M.S., Mc Dade C., Clancy D., Avontuur P.C., and Muzzio F.J. Quality by Design Methodology for Development and Scale Up of Batch Mixing Processes, Journal of Pharmaceutical Innovation, 2008, 3, 4, 258ĘC270.
- Portillo P.M., Ierapetritou M.G., and Muzzio F.J. Effects of Rotation Rate, Mixing Angle, and Cohesion in two Continuous Powder Mixers ĘC a statistical approach, Powder Technology, 2009, doi: 10.1016/j.powtec.2009.04.010
- Portillo P.M., Ierapetritou M.G., Muzzio F.J. Modeling Granular Mixing Processes utilizing a hybrid DEM-Compartment Modeling Approach, AIChE Annual Meeting, Cincinnati, November 2005.
- Portillo, P.M., Ierapetritou M.G., and Muzzio F.J. Characterization and Modeling of Continuous Convective Powder Mixing Processes, AIChE Annual Meeting, San Francisco, November 2006.
- Portillo, P.M., Ierapetritou M.G., and Muzzio F.J. Experimental Study and Computational Modeling of Continuous Powder Mixing Processes, AIChE Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, November 2007.
- Portillo, P.M., Ingram A., Seville J.P.K., Ierapetritou M.G., and Muzzio F.J. Analysis of Operating Conditions of a Continuous Powder Mixer Using Pept, AIChE Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, November 2008.
- Portillo, P.M., Muzzio F. J., and M.G. Ierapetritou, Development of Control Strategies for Blending Operations in Pharmaceutical Processes. AIChE Annual Meeting, Austin, Nov 2004.
Portillo, P.M., Muzzio F. J., and M.G. Ierapetritou, Implementing Process Control in Pharmaceutical Industries to Ensure Product Quality, ISPE Annual Meeting, Scottsdale, Arizona, Nov, 2005.
- Portillo, P.M., M.G. Ierapetritou, and Muzzio F. J, Characterization, Modeling, and Control of Continuous Powder Mixing Processes , NSF IGERT Project Meeting, Arlington, May 14-16, 2006 .
- Portillo, P.M., Muzzio F. J., and M.G. Ierapetritou, Modeling and designing powder mixing processes utilizing compartment modeling, ESCAPE-16, GERMANY, July 9-13, 2006.
155:307. Chemical Engineering Analysis II
155:422. Process Simulation & Control
IGERT FELLOW 2005-2007
© 2007 Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey.
All rights reserved.